FAFSA and Dream Act

The FAFSA is due by 11:59pm tonight (March 2nd).  Please submit your FAFSA, regardless of your college plans.  The FAFSA may allow you to have access to funds that will cover your cost of tuition and living expenses for community college, trade school, and 4 year universities.  
As a reminder, I am on campus today until 12pm and available to help with your FAFSA or Dream Act application, so drop by if you can!
Frequently Asked Questions:
  • My parents make too much money, and I don’t think I’ll qualify for financial aid.  Should I still file a FAFSA?
    • Answer: YES!  You don’t know exactly how much you do or do not qualify for until you submit your FAFSA.  Colleges cannot even offer you loans or any other type of aid if you do not submit your FAFSA.
  • I don’t have my parent(s) 2017 taxes, should I still file the FAFSA?
    • Answer: YES! You can estimate your parent(s) 2017 income and submit a correction later.  
  • My parent(s) don’t have a social security number, can I still file a FAFSA?
    • Answer: YES! When it asks you for their social security number, input “000-00-0000”
  • I don’t have a social security number because I am undocumented, should I still file a FAFSA?
  • I don’t know if I’m going to attend college next year, should I still file a FAFSA?
    • Answer: YES!  You want to file the FAFSA so that if you do choose to attend college, you have the option of receiving financial aid.
  • I’m busy and I don’t have time to complete my application.  How long will it take to submit my FAFSA?
    • Answer: Completing your FAFSA will take about 25 minutes… not long at all! 
  • If I have an issue or a question later today, what should I do?
    • Answer: You can e-mail me (I’ll be checking my email every hour until midnight) or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center 1-800-433-3243
What information do you need to complete your FAFSA/Dream Act?
  • 2017 Tax form (1040) for your parents (both if they are married) OR the parent who you lived with for the majority of 2017
  • Your social security number (if you have one)
  • Your parent(s) social security number(s) (if they have one)
  • Your parent(s) birthday(s)
  • The year and month that your parents were married
  • If you are filing the Dream Act, you need to know the city, state and country that your parents lived in prior to moving to the U.S. and which year you arrived in the United States
  • Any additional financial information:
    • Do your parents pay child support, receive social security, Medi-Caid, food stamps, etc.?
If your parents are unemployed or do not file taxes, that’s ok!  You will still submit a FAFSA or Dream Act application.  Ask your parents to estimate their income and we will use that to fill out your application.
If you will be filing a FAFSA, you need to create an FSA ID in order to log on to your FAFSA account.  If your parents have a social security number, please also create an FSA ID for them as well  so that they can electronically sign your FAFSA.  You do not need an FSA ID if you are undocumented and filing the Dream Act application.
Create an FSA ID here: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
File your FAFSA here: fafsa.ed.gov
*Make sure to file the 2019-2020 FAFSA!
For undocumented students, file your Dream Act here: https://dream.csac.ca.gov/